Monday, October 06, 2008

Triple Dog Standard

Everyone knows the "double standard" of women in politics. We criticize them when they're too masculine and call them weak when they're too feminine. And men, oh men can just be masculine, warring egomaniacs...that's what we want in a president, right?

Well in this election, I think we've invented a new standard--the Triple Dog Standard. An opinion article in the Boston Herald called Sarah Palin an "affirmative action embarrassment." But what's more interesting than this article are the 234 responses that follow. One man says that other women in politics are just "men wannabes," whereas Palin is "proud to act and be the woman that she is." Does that mean that Palin is the definitive "real woman?" Another woman claims that Palin knows how to get ahead in politics and used it to her advantage, the same way many women use their looks, flirtations and smile to give them an edge over the competition. Now, I must admit, I have done this as well, and I have defended my right to do so. As an intelligent and capable woman, I recognize the shortfalls of our society and realize that sometimes, my brains just don't count as much as I'd like them to. But is it right for a Vice Presidential candidate to follow suit? I say no, but then, I am guilty of the triple dog standard.



Other women support her "true American success story" relating her to the average woman. However, one user named Elanor has a different take on the average woman theme: "Sarah Palin flirted with voters to win them over. It was embarrassing to watch. If she did that on a regular job interview and was hired because of it, she'd be considered the office slut. Men may drool over her, but any woman with self respect would disdain her the cutesy, manipulative, cheerleader chirpiness that she uses to try to get people to come around to supporting her."

1 comment:

chysey said...

This is a very interesting concept. I am inclined to believe that there is no happy-medium. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I watched "The View" Monday morning and they talked about how pretty Sara Palin is (among other things). I never heard anyone refer to Hilary Clinton in that way. I think America likes their models pretty and their politicians respectable. Sara Palin is blurring the lines, so I can see where the controversy is coming in.